Writing From Experience

My book is set in a medieval type world...meaning no modern technology. My characters use bows & arrows, knives, and swords. None of which I have any real experience with. 

How then am I to convincingly write about it?

I have been mulling over the idea of taking archery lessons the last couple of months. At last month's writer club meeting, I met a new member who just happens to be starting archery lessons. She told me the first lesson is free and they let me borrow the equipment. I told my brother, who unbeknownst to me, has a compound bow that he doesn't use. He is bringing it to me this weekend.

Do you ever feel like God is trying to tell you something?

I guess He thinks that I should write from experience, too! Now I just need to schedule my visit. I wonder if the hubs would be willing to join me? I think it would be a fun date night activity.

Next up: dagger fighting lessons. Anyone know where you would find a teacher for something like that? *grin*

Comments

Followers