Reviews and Recommendations!

I love to read and have been mowing through books lately. Reading in the genre for which I'm writing at that time really helps me to get in the right 'mood' for my own story. I'm working on the sequel to my newly published novel Lost Haven, so I've read quite a few dystopian fantasy novels. I'm also working on a Paranormal romance. If you have any good books in either of these genres, I'd love to hear them. I love anything Fantasy(epic, dystopian, dark, steampunk, etc), Paranormal romance, Regency Romance, Steampunk, Thrillers, and some YA. So if you've read a good book lately, please share it with me in the comments.

Here's some of what I've read recently, that I loved. 

Nefertiti's Heart by A.W. Exley

This is a Steam punk romance.I loved the steam punk feel, the kick ass female MC, and the mysteriousness of the male MC. I also loved the added mystery of the female MC's hunt for her father's hidden treasure and that the book didn't jump right into steamy sex. The female MC has issues with being touched and for good reason. It made the slow build so worth it. If you're into romance and steam punk, I'd definitely recommend this one.

Alice In Zombieland by Gena Showalter

This is YA and boy is it 'angsty'. From the cover and title, I assumed this would be a retelling of the original Alice in Wonderland, which I feel might be getting close to being well overdone. I was very surprised however to realize that this is nothing like that at all. The main characters name is Alice, she has long blond hair, and the MC often feels like she's fallen into a rabbit hole, but that is where the similarities stop.

I loved the original take on zombies as it wasn't at all what I was expecting. I could have done without so much of the high school back and forth, over-dramatic stuff, but hey, that's YA and why I'm glad I never have to repeat high school. I found the book entertaining and loved the MC's sense of humor. Her best friend was a hoot. Don't go into it expecting an Alice in Wonderland retell and you'll enjoy it and it's sequel, Through the Zombieglass.

Whispers In Autumn by Trisha Leigh

This one is a Sci/Fi Dystopian YA novel. And while this might be a scary mix, don't let it scare you away from reading it. Its mix of aliens, dissidents, and traveling between the seasons is worth a look. And it's underlying story of a girl who feels different trying to find her place in the world, will resonate with many women and teen girls. To top it off, it's a self-pub, which made me very leery. However, Trisha Leigh has put together a beautifully well written book and it shows. I even love the cover and how all 4 in the series make one face. That is so cool. I loved it and definitely recommend it.

And of course, my own 1st published book is for sale as ebook on Amazon. It's a novella length urban fantasy. Here is a bit about it.


In the near future, a few young women manifest extraordinary abilities called "Shine." Each girl's ability is different. Some develop extraordinary mental abilities. Some become physically strong. Others have powers that defy description. But the world does not embrace these Shines. It fears them.

Camille’s life hasn’t been the same since her parents' traumatic murder-suicide. In the aftermath, an intruder breaks into her home. Camille discovers a mysterious thumb drive hidden in her father’s office and realizes the unwanted changes in her life are just beginning. Caught in a spider's web of politics and conspiracy, betrayal and abduction, Camille is about to discover that the world is changing and hiding is not an option. Not even for Shines.


Comments

  1. I loooooove Nefertiti's Heart. Can't wait to read the next book, but it's not in my budget yet.

    You would probably enjoy the series I'm reading right now. The first book is Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor. It was fantastic, and I'm devouring the second book pretty quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll definitely check it out! Thanks for the recommendation, Rebekah!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been looking for some good reads lately, and striking out. I did just get through The Selection and Jessica Rules the Dark Side. Both were rather formulaic. Flusterbating. (And here's where I slip in my shameless plug for MOONLESS--Jane Eyre meet Supernatural.) ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate when I read something and realize I just wasted precious time I could've been reading something better. Good luck on your next one. And be shameless!! I'll definitely check it out!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading and commenting on my blog!
~Sabrina

Followers