Easing back in...and an Excerpt from my next Shine novella #blogging #Shine #YAFantasy

Hi friends! I hope this finds you all doing well and getting ready to tackle the A to Z Challenge in April. I took a much needed break from blogging, but now I'm ready to slowly get back into it. I'm still trying to decide if I'll participate in this year's A to Z, but regardless, I look forward to seeing all the great posts by those participating.

Don't know what the A to Z Challenge is? Here is the link and button.
If you're a blogger, I'd definitely encourage you to check it out. I always enjoy it when I participate.

I've recently finished my 3rd Shine novella. *happy dance* I'm hoping it'll be published in April or May. If you've been following Camille and her gang of Shine friends, you'll be excited to know she's kept her promise and found a way to get Sophia to Russia. In fact, the whole gang is going to check out the claims about Russia being a Shine safe haven. If you haven't read my first 2 Shine novellas, you can click on the covers for both on the right.

To celebrate this accomplishment, I've decided to share a snippet from my 'still being edited' manuscript for The Gilded Cage, the 3rd adventure in Camille's story. I hope you enjoy it!

***
Sophia appeared, tears flowing down her face, with Dahlia cradled in her arms. Camille met her stricken gaze. A hard knot formed in her stomach.
"Daisy collapsed."
The battle raged in her ear. A gun went off. Camille gritted her teeth. "Take me there. Now."
"I'm about used up, Cam."
Camille nodded. She met Brenna's devastated gaze. "Karen is waiting at the park. Get V, Dahlia, and the rest to Ohm. I'm going to help Rachel put down a rabid dog."
Sophia gently laid Dahlia's body on the couch then stood and wrapped her trembling arms around Camille. She rested her forehead against Camille's back and said in a voice clogged with tears. "Close your eyes."
Camille's body grew light until she couldn't feel her own skin or the bones it covered, then an instant later gravity returned. She opened her eyes and found herself in a dark hallway. Using her Shine, she hid herself and Sophia from everyone except Rachel. Taking a deep breath, she edged into the chaos of the living room. Rachel saw her and smiled. A brown haired Shine crouched behind the overturned dining room table. The woman's eyes narrowed. She scanned the room, hesitated over where Camille stood, but continued on.
Camille paused. Did the other woman have the ability to see past Camille's Shine? Unwilling to take a chance, Camille stepped back into the shadows of the hallway. Rachel sent a butcher knife flying through the air at the woman. As if she could read Rachel's mind, the brown-haired Shine pulled the table between herself and the knife.
Camille thought of the loud gongs of a watchtower clock. Keeping the gongs uppermost in her mind like Daisy had taught her, Camille pulled out the syringe Fear had given her. She nodded to Rachel. Rachel's smile widened. Every item in the house that had any type of iron in it flew through the air to whirl around the brown-haired woman and the table in a vortex. Camille edged around the whirling knives, pipe, tools, sculptures, and debris until she was directly behind the woman. She lifted the hand with the syringe and nodded.
The vortex froze and Camille slammed the syringe into the woman's back without letting her own skin touch the other Shine's. The brown-haired woman whirled around and lurched toward Camille. Right as her fingers grasped Camille's arm, her eyes rolled up in her head and she dropped to the ground.
***

Every story has an event that catapults them onto a path they may not have taken otherwise. In The Gilded Cage, Camille's crew loses a member of their little family. This devastating loss sets them onto a path that ultimately leads to Russia where they learn the hard way that some things really are too good to be true. I hope you liked this peek into my upcoming novella and thank you so much for stopping by to say hi!

Are you participating in the A to Z Challenge? Have you read my first 2 Shine stories, Lost Haven and Road to Nowhere

Comments

  1. Great action sequence. I can just see all the metal weapons flying at her. Congratulations on finishing the third story and welcome back to the blogging world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to "see" you again, Sabrina!!! Love you!!! Congrats on all that you've been doing. Wow with the writing and releases… and you're doing A-Z??? *dies* I've never been brave enough. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on finishing your third novel.

    I'm participating in the A-Z Challenge; this will be my second year. (I'll probably ALSO be editing my twin's most recent novel during April -- it's gonna be a crazy month!) I've made my list of topics (mostly -- I still don't have anything for 5 letters), but I haven't started writing yet, because pre-planning too much didn't work last time. Also, I'll have to pick my twin's brain for some of the posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you'll be joining us this time around!

    John Holton
    Blogging from A to Z 2015 Cohost
    The Sound of One Hand Typing

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading and commenting on my blog!
~Sabrina

Followers