Raising A Next Generation Reader/Writer


As an author and mother, I expected (or should I say hoped? LOL), that my son would be interested in writing...or be an avid reader at the very least. I'm the oldest of 4 book-loving siblings with parents who are also avid readers, so I don't think this is an unrealistic expectation (even if I did marry a man who doesn't understand my love of books).

Then my kiddo went through the learning to read process AND IT WAS HORRIBLE! For about a year, I feared that my son was never going to love reading, never-mind writing.

It was a sad time folks.
​​
But finally, it all started clicking. Then, we found Michael Dahl's Library of Doom books...and
EVERYTHING CHANGED! I will forever be grateful to that author for writing the kind of book that made my boy fall in love with the quirky illustrations so that he WANTED to learn the even quirkier words for himself.

Whew! Crisis averted!! (I know my fellow readers will understand my relief!)
​​
Now let's fast-forward 3 years. My kiddo is 12 years old and reading at a college level. In fact, he just finished reading Brent Weeks' Night Angel Trilogy, which he absolutely LOVED! He also writes his own stories and managed to win awards for them before I won any awards for mine. (To the left, is a pic of him with his most recent writing awards. And yes, he thoroughly enjoys rubbing that one in!).

I am one happy (and relieved) mommy!

Recently, the kiddo has become interested in creating characters. Which is awesome, EXCEPT...he says he has a character idea for MY books. Like you, I thought this was great...at first! But let me tell you a little known fact about kids. They can talk and talk and talk on a subject of interest FOR HOURS!
​​
The first few times I patiently listened to his recitation of what the character looked like, WITH illustrations and/or a prototype that he made for me out of LEGOs, what its abilities were, the character's history, personality, etc. (If you think I'm kidding about how long this lasted, go find a 8-12 year old kid and ask them to tell you about Minecraft, Fortnite, or their favorite toy. Do it. I dare you.)

Then, I reached the end of my patience rope (to be honest, it isn't very long), when my boy hunted me down during my sacred reading/bubble-bath time to tell me about another creature while I was in the middle of my favorite author's latest release which I had pre-ordered AND which had only just been downloaded to my Kindle that day.
​​

Not cool, baby boy. Not. Cool.

Self-preservation struck like the flip of the switch to a megawatt light bulb in a tiny room. I had him pull out a journal that had been collecting dust on his shelf. I drew a box for the illustration, listed important questions he needed to answer to make a well-rounded character, and sent him off with the logical statement "this way you won't forget any details later when you want to use the character in a story".

Folks, I often wow myself with my brilliance, but this was the cat's meow, the cherry on top of the sunday, and the forgotten $20 bill found in an old purse kind of awesome all rolled into one brilliant idea!

(Why yes, that is a pic of me patting myself on the back!)

The kiddo spent HOURS in his room working on this character sketch...and has since come up with others. He comes to me when he is uncertain about something or needs to talk an idea out, but for the most part it all goes in the journal.

And I can't even begin to describe the level of pride I feel each time I see him working in it.

I've done it. I'm raising an avid reader who even likes creating his own stories.
He even recently won FIRST PLACE in the Duke University Talent Identification Program Annual Writing Contest!!
I'm raising a next generation reader/writer and I couldn't be more proud.

Does your kiddo(s) also enjoy reading? What are some of their fave books? Did they ever get into the Library of Doom books by Michael Dahl?


Sabrina A. Fish is an award-winning fantasy & romance author from Oklahoma. When she isn't reading or writing, she helps her hubbie run a trophy and awards company or hangs out with her kiddo.

If you've enjoyed Sabrina's books, but haven't yet signed up for her newsletter, do so ASAP. She's revealing the cover of the next book in her fantasy romance series to subscribers on Dec. 1st. She'll also be including a Deleted Scene from book 1 AND a subscriber only giveaway. Subscribe by clicking the button below.

Comments

  1. Oh my word (pun intended!) you have every write (golly, this is going from bad to worse puns!) to be proud!!

    In all seriousness, I have nearly 3 of those 8-12 year-olds and can understand your need for a bit of peace and quiet, and I'm absolutely envious of your lad's drive and love of writing and reading as mine haven't gotten there - yet!

    Well done, Mama Bear :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading and commenting on my blog!
~Sabrina

Followers