Sunday, August 26, 2012

Overcoming My Writing Fears...One At A Time!

This weekend I enjoyed making fabulous progress on the sequel to my first novel. I figured that since I am waiting to hear back about whether I'll be accepted or rejected, I'd go ahead.

That was 3 months ago.

I am just now making any real progress on book 2. Why? Because when I looked at beginning the 2nd, I was assailed with self-doubt. Did I have another book in me? Could I really make a 2nd book as good as the 1st? What if the 1st was rejected?

These questions went on and on and on. So I continued tinkering with the first. You know, looking for spelling errors, typos, grammar mistakes. Anything to keep from having to figure out how to start the 2nd book. Then about 3 weeks ago, I sat down and wrote the prologue. I liked it, but I had known since the beginning of book two how the mini story of my prologue was going to go. I tried to start the actual 1st chapter, but I totally stalled out.

After the end of the 1st book, a different tone needed to be set. A lot happened in that first book. Some characters figured out who they were, others had their dreams shattered, and still others met untimely demise.

I. Was. Terrified.

However, after a few weeks of wallowing in this sense of helpless fear, I got fed up with myself. So this weekend, I sat down and finished chapter 1, and reached the final scene of chapter 2. It was AMAZING! I got my mojo back. I know you, my lovely writer friends, understand what I am talking about.

I am back in the swing. I am excited again. I feel this book and while some of the characters are the  same, there are new ones and I cannot wait to get to know them better. Great progress was made. Progress that I plan to continue tomorrow, the next day, and so on until I have another first draft. Then I am going to submit it to my critique group to tear apart. I love being a writer.

How about you? Did you have a hard time starting your 2nd book? Were you afraid you had used up all your good writing on the first? I'd love to hear your story.

4 comments:

  1. I'm still on book one lol. BUT, I know what you mean about sitting down to write and feeling like you've got nothing to bring to the table. I LOVE it when I get my mojo back!

    Keep on writing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it. Don't let doubt get in your way. This is a fabulous post for IWSG. ARe you a member? I'm a new follower. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sabrina! You asked about blog challenges on my post. I'd have to search for some writing challenges, although I know a couple are coming up. I know of several blogfests, including my own on September 17 and the Chocolate blogfest on September 10. Sorry, otherwise drawing a blank!

    ReplyDelete