A Book, A Friend, and My Dreams

At my writer group meeting this last weekend, speaker and fellow member, Jean Stover, talked about christian writing. Several of our members did not come because they are not christian writers. Since I am not a christian writer either, I was certain Jean would not be speaking to me. I was so wrong. Jean did, in fact, speak to me when she asked the question, "What is your motivation for writing?" She then proceeded to give responses to this question from some big names in writing.


"No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money." -Samuel Johnson


"The only sensible ends of literature are, first, the pleasurable toil of writing; second, the gratification of one's family and friends; and lastly, the solid cash." -Nathaniel Hawthorne


Now, I realize that she was speaking about motivations for Christian writing, but this question and responses by these two well known authors, really made me think. Why do I write? Money? Pleasurable toil?(is there really such a thing?) Gratification of family and friends?


None of these reasons quite did it for me. My husband is blessed with a fabulous job that gives us plenty of money so that I can stay home with my son. My family and friends already think I am awesome. I love to write, but I have been keeping myself content by writing in my journal for years. So why, a year and a half ago, did I decide to try my hand at writing a novel? I pondered this question for a few days, before the answer came to me.  


A book, a friend, and my dreams. 


The combination of reading Sazed's revelation in The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson, meeting my friend, Angela, who showed me an 'average' person could write a book, and a desire to do something with the strange dreams I had on a nightly basis, all prompted in me a desire to start my first fantasy novel. 


No longer content with simply writing my thoughts out in my journal, I realized I wanted to create an entertaining, thought provoking, and complex story for others to enjoy. I want to entertain others as my favorite authors have entertained me. 

Now, a year and a half has passed and I am revising my 100,000 word manuscript so that I will soon be able to begin submitting it. And I am amazed. 

What is your motivation for writing? Have you thought about it? Please take a moment and share it with me. I would love to see other writer's motivations.

Comments

Followers