Writing Battle Scenes is HARD! #amwriting #fantasyromance

This morning, I'm supposed to be working on the final battle scene in Diomere's Mercenary...

BUT...

So I'm here instead, epically procrastinating by writing this blog. I mean, it needed to be done anyway, right? *sigh*

In fantasy, ordinary battle scenes are difficult because they need to be exciting, while also making sense. The writer needs to have some idea how fighting with whatever weapon is being used works. You don't want your readers to put your book down in disgust because you wrote a battle scene so unbelievable that they're left thinking you're an idiot writer. Or worse, have them be bored! It's an important balance, excitement and logic.

So when you take battle scene and add it to climax scene, the point when the shit hits the fan, things become even more tricky. You have to write an exciting and convincing battle scene while also bringing everything you've set up together so that it all leads to some kind of resolution. And since this book is fantasy romance, that resolution between the hero and heroine is VERY important.  It's so complex and challenging.

For me, anyway.

I KNOW what needs to happen, but HOW to make it happen is daunting. These scenes always take me several days to write because of their complexity...and because I procrastinate out of fear. I'm afraid I'll make it too cheesy, underwhelming, or just plain stupid. *sigh* Maybe I should have used this post for the insecure writers network day.

Despite that demon, Doubt, whispering in my ear, I love writing these scenes because my characters finally get the happy ending they've been working toward throughout the entire book. So I'm going to end this post and go figure out how to help Kardia and the dragon queen kick the bad guy's ass before he kills Sahir. Because who doesn't love when the heroine saves the day?


Are you having your own insecurities about something? Leave a comment (click "View Original Post" if you don't see the comment box) below and tell me about it. Misery loves company and I'd love to cheer you on through whatever thing is causing you to doubt yourself.

Have you read my Award-Winning Fantasy Romance series, The Gate Keeper Chronicles? This book will be book 3 of the series, but books 1 and 2 are available now! Click the image or series title below to learn more.

The Gate Keeper Chronicles

Five Gates. Five Sisters.
Five Very Different Men.

Once there were two worlds connected by five magical gates. Then the Gate Keepers closed the gates and disappeared. The Gate Keepers have returned.

Comments

Followers